Snap a Photo and Win!
Photo Contest 2013
We’re looking for your best color photos depicting your favorite scenes from your garden: close-ups, portraits or long shots of plants or critters; borders; beds; and more. Upload your prettiest, most dramatic photos and you could win one of four prizes.
Photos will be judged on composition, focus, creative perspective, subject matter, color and texture.
|2012 Winner: Lily blossom, by Maria Johnson, Nashville, TN
Here's what you could win:
• Upload or send no more than three photos per member.
• Digital images are preferred, but we will accept color prints.
• Digital photos must be the highest resolution possible (taken with 2.5-megapixel camera or higher) and formatted as a 300 dpi 5x7 inch JPEGs.
• Print photos must be 5x7 inches or larger. Use high-quality photographic paper.
• If you send a CD, label the CD and the case.
• Do not upload digitally compressed or “zipped” photos.
• Label every item of physical entries with member number, name, address and daytime phone number.
• Provide common and botanical names (if known) for all plants, and identify insects, animals, etc.
• Identify any people in photos and their relationship to you.
Printed entries can be mailed to:
National Home Gardening Club
Garden Photo Contest
12301 Whitewater Drive
Minnetonka, MN 55343-9447
We regret that we cannot return any materials or acknowledge receipt of entries.
Photo guidelines and tips
• Avoid shooting in bright sunlight. Gardens photograph best in early morning, late afternoon or on hazy days.
• Use a tripod for sharp focus.
• Don’t include distracting elements, such as stray garden hoses or garbage cans, in the photograph.
• Don’t use special effects or shapes in cropping, and make sure your camera’s time/date stamp is turned off.
To submit digital photos, fill out the form below.
This contest is open only to members of the National Home Gardening Club (NHGC). No additional purchase is necessary. Employees of NHGC, Oregon, Black & Decker, Gardener’s Supply Co., The Cook’s Garden, their affiliates, subsidiaries, agencies and suppliers and the families of each are not eligible. Void in PR, Quebec, and where prohibited by law. Entries must be postmarked or emailed on or before 7/31/13. No responsibility is assumed for lost, late, damaged, illegible, postage-due or misdirected entries. All photos become the property of NHGC and will not be returned or acknowledged. Photos will be judged on composition, sharpness and focus, unusual and creative perspective, interesting subject matter, color and texture. The judges reserve the right to adjust and modify photos prior to publication. NHGC judges’ decisions concerning all matters related to this contest are final. Winners will be selected on or about 9/1/13. Winners will be notified by mail on or about 10/1/13. Winners will be required to sign an affidavit of eligibility, liability release and publicity release. Submission of an entry and/or acceptance of a prize grants NHGC the exclusive, perpetual right to publish, use, edit, adapt, modify and/or copy the entry for any and all purposes in any and all media currently in existence or hereafter invented without further compensation to entrant/winner. All prize taxes are the sole responsibility of the winner. Winner releases NHGC and sponsors from any liability arising out of participation in this contest. Winner grants to NHGC the right to use his/her name, photograph, likeness and biographical information in advertising and promotion without compensation or permission except in TN or where prohibited by law. Winners’ names and photos will be published in Gardening How-To magazine, at gardeningclub.com or in other related publications at the NHGC's sole discretion. For a list of the winners, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to Garden Photo Contest at address listed above.