The experts at the National Arbor Day Foundation offer the following tips for planting a containerized tree:
- Dig a hole 1 foot deep and about five times the diameter of the root ball.
- Keep soil around the tree's roots when transplanting.
- Always hold your tree by the root ball, not by its trunk or branches.
- Plant trees as soon as possible after bringing them home so the root ball doesn't dry out.
- Pack soil firmly, but not tightly, around the root ball after you place the tree in the ground.
- Water the soil and place a protective 3-foot circle of mulch around the tree, keeping it away from the tree's trunk.
To learn more about the benefits of planting trees, go to