English daisies look much like any other daisy-white outer petals with sunny yellow centers, though some selections have pinkish or reddish flowers. Double-flowering hybrids have fuller blooms with much smaller centers. The leaves are leathery and bright green. English daisies bloom in spring and summer.
- Common name: English daisy
- Botanical name: Bellis perennis
- Zones: 4 to 8
- Size: To 1 foot tall
- From: Areas of Europe and Asia
- Family: Compositae (daisy family)
- Sun: Full sun or partial shade
- Soil: Fertile, moist, but well-drained soil is best.
- Moisture: Water during times of drought.
- Mulch: A layer of mulch (up to 4 inches deep) around the base of the plant helps reduce competition from weeds and helps the soil conserve moisture. Organic mulches add to the soil's structure over time.
- Pruning: Cut the plants back in autumn after freezing temperatures kill the foliage or leave the stems standing in winter for winter interest and cut back before growth begins in spring.
- Fertilizer: In all but the poorest of soils, the plants don't require fertilizer. In very poor soils, use an all-purpose garden fertilizer in spring.
- Seed: Sow seed outside in late spring or early summer, after all danger of frost has passed.
- Division: Divide in early spring every few years to help the plants maintain some of their vigor.
- Leaf spot: In summer or autumn, the leaves become spotted yellowish or with darker colored spots. Each spot often has concentric rings around it, forming something of a bull's-eye pattern. To deter it, prune the plant to keep good airflow and avoid wetting the foliage in afternoons and evenings.
- Garden Notes
- English daisies are short-lived plants that typically only survive a few years in the garden. Divide regularly and allow them to self-sow to ensure a constant supply in your garden.
- Bellis perennis ‘Habanera': Has bicolored blooms (white petals each have a red tip). Plants to 1 foot tall. Zones 4 to 8.
- Bellis perennis Pomponette Series: Bears double pink, white or red flowers on plants to 1 foot tall. Zones 4 to 8.
- Bellis perennis ‘Tasso Mix': Bears double pink, white or red flowers on extra-strong stems. Plants grow to 1 foot tall. Zones 4 to 8.