The experts at the National Arbor Day Foundation offer the following six tips for planting a containerized tree:
1. Dig a hole 1 foot deep and about five times the diameter of the root ball.
2. Keep soil around the tree’s roots when transplanting.
3. Always hold your tree by the root ball, not by its trunk or branches.
4. Plant trees as soon as possible after bringing them home so the root ball doesn’t dry out.
5. Pack soil firmly, but not tightly, around the root ball after you place the tree in the ground.
6. Water the soil and place a protective 3-foot circle of mulch around the tree, keeping it away from the tree’s trunk.