The American Association of Poison Control Centers reports that poison centers received more than 96,000 calls last year regarding exposure to garden pesticides. More than half the calls involved children younger than six.
To keep your children and pets safe, spray pesticides only on calm, wind-free days. Make sure children and pets avoid recently treated areas (follow package instructions to find out how long to stay away), and keep pesticides locked up and out of children’s sight.
If children or pets swallow or inhale pesticides, or if the chemicals come in contact with skin, call 800-222-1222 to be connected to your local poison center.